Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Fandom Blurbs: Rogue One

I feel like I should be writing here, but there hasn't been much going on that I want to write about thoroughly.  I could always pop by with a new geeky moment, but the moments are in short little bursts these days - not big, long, rambling, blog posts.  But maybe that's ok.  Maybe I can do a bunch of short little blurbs into one big, long, rambling, blog post.  Hey!  That's an idea!

I've been wanting to talk a lot about the upcoming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.  But I haven't touched the topic because there's so much out there.  I stay away from spoilers and speculation, but I do love some of the news that's been coming out about this movie.  I'm really excited about what we're going to see.

So let's just blurb about it a bit:

  • This movie now has a new composer, and I couldn't be happier!  It's not that I don't love the original composer who was signed on for the production.  Alexandre Desplat is quite the talent, and I do adore his work.  I wasn't 100% sold that his style would fit this production, but I had to remember that we were going for something different here.  So I was encouraged by that thought.  I wanted to hear what he would come up with.  However, when Rogue One had to revise its schedule due to reshoots, that affected the final scoring schedule.  Desplat was no longer available.

    Then steps in my latest hero - Michael Giacchino.  I have seriously fallen in love with this man's line of work, and I adore his musical ear.  It's the closest thing to John Williams that I've found in the "modern" film world, and I love to hear what he comes up with next.  I said a long time ago that if - God forbid - we ever lost John Williams before the Star Wars movies were complete, I believe the baton should be passed to Michael.

    It seems Michael is getting his chance now to spread his wings and fling his notes across the page of a Star Wars score.  And I am thrilled.  Thrilled, I have to tell you.  Like, bouncing off the walls, I want to flail and hit people with my nerdy flails because I'm happy thrilled.  I can't wait for this movie.  I really can't.
  • I'm intrigued that Jyn Erso (the main character) has both a mom and a dad that we will actually see in the movie.  Granted, we might be dealing primarily with flash backs (which I also find interesting), but I think it will be fun to see how her character is shaped by her family.  We don't usually get to see that, I feel.  I want to see how this one plays out.

    I'm giving Jyn the benefit of a doubt here.  The first trailer I saw her in, I wasn't thrilled with her character.  I didn't connect with her.  She was brash and tough and - maybe - a little arrogant.  And - ok - a character.  "Reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined."  That's quite all right; it just didn't feel like me.  I guess I wanted to connect or something on a personal level.  (Silly, I know).  I don't need to see myself in a main character to follow them.  There are going to be so many characters in this movie, I think any of us are bound to find someone we connect with.

    But there are other trailers I've seen make me like her more and more.  I'm curious to see who her character is, why she is the way she is, and what makes her work and move and fight.
  • Speaking of trailers - who in the world is writing this music?!  Because if this is Alexandre Desplat, then I'm just sad because this is beautiful stuff!  I know it's just trailer music, but c'mon.  Listen!  Seriously.  Just sit back and listen.  When I listen to the music in the 2nd trailer that I linked to above, I just get goosebumps.  It has been known to bring me to tears just by listening to it (and I'm listening now and fighting them back - gah).  It's powerful stuff.  I think this whole movie will be powerful stuff.
  • *Kermit flail*

No comments:

Post a Comment