Friday, March 10, 2017

An Update on Why There's No Update

I've been wanting to write out a post just so I can try to keep up with things a bit more regularly, but I find that every time I put some words on the screen, I just end up deleting them.  I think it's because it's mostly just my daily ramblings about costume projects.  Issues I'm having with sewing or creating things.  Or just posts that say, "omg I completed 2 things and have 50 more left to go!"  So I delete those types of posts, and this blog just sits silently.

Well, no more, my friends!  Today you will get an update on why there hasn't been an update.  Actually, I already updated you on that (see opening paragraph).  So now...on to an update of rambling and half-finished proportions!

My life has been reduced down into four columns on a spreadsheet, and that spreadsheet is my current tie to sanity.  I have a white column with the date, a purple column for personal things, a pink column for baby shower planning, and a blue column for Star Wars Celebration preparation.  I update my list every day, multiple times a day.  I italicize any items to make them as "done".  A row gets hidden when the day is over.  Leftover tasks that don't get italicized get moved to another day.  It's simplistic but oh-so-effective for me in this hectic time.

I wanted to give a run-down of the Celebration preparation activities that have actually happened.  I think if I see them listed out, it'll make me feel better.  (And we don't have to talk about the things that are left to do because that will not make me feel better...)

What Has Happened (Since Monday, February 13th)
  • Finished last hand-stitched hem on finger of Jyn gloves
  • Kohl's shopping for blue-gray shirt and pants for Jyn
    • Failure on first trip
    • Success on the second trip!
  • Got Asajj Ventress make-up in mail; did 2nd make-up test
    • 1st make-up test was done with old paint that was already on-hand and was completed prior to 2/13
  • Painted test stripes with puff paint and puff paint/acrylic mix for Jyn jacket
    • Heated up iron and tested puff paint
      • Puff paint really puffs; puff paint/acrylic mix did nothing
  • New Jyn vest arrived from eBay; too small but will work
    • Old Jyn vest was blogged about previously; a tan piece of blah that will probably sit this one out
  • Trip to thrift store for Jyn items - no luck
  • Trip to JoAnn's to buy fabric for Jyn scarf - no luck
  • Trip to WalMart to buy fabric for Jyn scarf - success
  • New Asajj make-up arrived
  • Asajj princess dress and raven finger puppet arrives (this silly idea deserve it's own post, really; maybe someday)
    • Try on princess dress
    • Stare at awkwardly fitting dress in the mirror
    • Prep dress for return
    • Give dress to Nerd Husband to drop off to UPS for return
    • Keep raven finger puppet because he's amazingly awesome
  • Buy more thread from JoAnn's
  • Check out thrift store for friend's planned Cassian costume and send pics to friend
  • Check out thrift store for dark brown webbing or belts - no luck
  • Find Asajj skirt in dirty clothes and wash skirt
  • Restitch shoulder seam on Jyn jacket
  • Repin and finish blind stitch on Jyn jacket back
  • Finish sleeve detail on Jyn jacket
  • Work on Jyn necklace
 What's funny is that after I read this, I realize there are other things in there that I completed that I didn't list out!  How unfair of me is that; I just didn't give myself credit for those things.  For shame on me.  Seriously.

Now I have to stop.  Because writing a blog post was not on my To Do list.

But it is now.

Because marking "done" things in italicized font is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment