Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Costume and Running Update

I've been having kind of a difficult time lately on a personal level - lots of things going on in my mind.  My escape has been trying to plan this upcoming runDisney race, training, and costuming.  Unfortunately, it means "real life" things like laundry, running the vacuum, and picking up the living room are falling by the wayside.  Hopefully I can get back to those things soon, though.

The costume hasn't taken much more shape than it already had, honestly.  I did go out and do a test run in the race hat and the shirt I picked up.  Both of them will work out just nicely, and I've very happy with that.  I've been looking around for a pair of shorts (since I know the weather will be warmer, and I figured that would be better than capris).  Unfortunately, I can't find a darned thing that I like or that looks right.  They are either too short or too long.  It's frustrating.  The pair I'd gotten off the internet would have worked fine had those stupid dual inseams not been so irritating.  I might very well end up wearing a pair of my capris that I already own and call it a day.

I've been holding off on hemming the skirt until I found a pair of short that I liked - which will also affect the length of the tabbard I end up creating for the skirt.  So that's on hold, too.  Obviously my costuming escape is kind of all "on hold", which is frustrating.

Training is going a little better than before.  It turned really warm here in the lovely Midwest last weekend, and we were able to go outside for a run - which was heaven.  Heaven.  There is something so so different about running outside that makes it not nearly so boring.  I was grateful for the warm temperatures, and I was thankful we were able to do one of our longs runs on Saturday - 3.5 miles.  We did have to break part way through which upset both the Nerd Husband and myself.  But what do you do when unexpected bathroom breaks hit you?  Also, I took the occasion to stop and ice my right shin which had been giving me minor fits the last few times we've been out running.  I've noticed it's getting better - it takes it longer and longer to develop the dull ache that I've been feeling.  But it creeps up on me after awhile.  I'm going to have to be careful about that.

If you count all of the training session we should have been doing up until yesterday, we have completed only 56% of our goal.  That's pretty discouraging.  It's been a difficult time, though, battling illnesses for both myself and the NH.  Plus, some real life things creeped in - like birthdays, holidays, extended weekends to celebrate a late holidays, family legal matters, trips to Florida, and doctor's appointments.  I thought for some reason that it would be easy to create a schedule and stick with it.  That is not the case, apparently.

Regardless of all of that, though, I still think we can do this.  Overall, we're averaging 14:22 minutes per mile.  That's within runDisney's required pacing of 16 min per mile.  I also have to remember that I'm including the day that we only walked the 30 minute training session we were required for that day.  If I take that day out of the equation, we're sitting pretty on exactly 14 minutes per mile.  Boom.

Due to the craziness of our schedules, our next long run will actually happen this coming Saturday morning - 4.25 miles.  I'm keeping our fingers crossed that we can do this one pretty well.  Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment