Thursday, February 25, 2016

Costume Update: Belt Buckle

On Wednesday night around 9:45pm, I started feeling crafty.

This is never a good thing - craftiness hitting this late at night.  It usually means you'll be up until 2:00 AM or so, staring at your project and resisting (or giving in to) the urge to throw it across the room.  But I'm proud!  I managed to indulge my craftiness in a timely manner, and then go to bed about an hour later.  I didn't fall asleep for another hour later, but that's beside the point.

I played with something new yesterday - paper clay.  I bought this stuff ages ago for another costume project (Lara Croft maybe?  I honestly don't recall).  It didn't work for what I wanted, and I put it away.  I got it out last night because I figured it might be a good, light material to make my Asajj belt buckle out of for my runDisney costume.

I forgot how much I hated it.  I pulled out the clay, and it's just...stiff, tough stuff to work with.  It makes working with Sculpey seem easy.  Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's the brand of stuff that I was working with which was Model Air.  I honestly have no idea.  I figured this was an experiment anyway, so it didn't really matter if it worked well or not.  I just wanted to see what it would do.

The clay was darned difficult to smooth out - almost impossible to do by hand and still not easy to do with my marble rolling pin.  That was annoying.  Also, since the buckle kind of has layers, I had to built it using different pieces, and they didn't really adhere well to one another no matter what I tried.  So it will be an experiment.  I let it dry overnight, and I didn't have time to check it this morning.  I'm attending a concert tonight, so I won't be home until late.  I'll give it a look-see then.

In other news, we skipped last night's training session.  I was just horribly tired, and so was the Nerd Husband.  I opted for a 30-45 minute walk around JoAnn Fabrics instead of the running session.  It probably wasn't smart, but at least it was some sort of activity.  I'm feeling pretty guilty about all of these session falling by the wayside, but the number still look decent.  I'd like to make every effort to not skip from here on out, though.  The call to be lazy is a lot like the call to the Dark Side.

"Is the laziness stronger?"
"No, no, no.  Quicker, easier, more seductive."

Thank you, Yoda.  In this case, I'll listen to your teachings...or try to. 

And don't tell me about trying, dude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment