Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Flowers and Gardens and Vader - Oh My!

In exactly one month, the runDisney Star Wars Dark Side race weekend kicks off with the 5K race on Friday morning.  That very same morning, the Nerd Husband and I will be on what I like to call the "butt crack of dawn" flight to Florida.  We will arrive at 7:35 AM.

Yes.  You read that right.  And yes.  We are crazy.

This trip is kind of an exciting one for both of us because it's incorporating so many awesome and wonderful things.

First, the inaugural runDisney Star Wars Dark Side races.  As I've mentioned before, we'll be participating in the 10K race on Saturday morning.  This is the first time either one of us has raced this distance, and I consider this a personal fitness goal.  This is also the first time either one of us has raced at Disney.  I've thought about it in the past.  Then I talked about it in the past.  Then it happened now.  So while this might be Walt Disney World's inaugural Dark Side race, this is our inaugural Disney Dark Side 10K race on all levels.  That's pretty special in my book of awesome.

Second, this trip falls right at the time of the NH's birthday.  The day after the race, we'll get to celebrate his birthday on his actual birthday at Disney.  That might sound kind of simple, but it feels kind of awesome.  I asked the NH if there was anything he wanted to do for his birthday or anywhere special he'd like to eat.  He chose Be Our Guest restaurant for dinner at Magic Kingdom, so that's our one major plan for the day.  We have a couple of FastPasses for that day, as well, and we'll just come and go as we please.  I might also have a surprise or two up my sleeve, but those are still in the works.  More to come on that later.  Much later.

Third, this trip marks the beginning of our "Year of Disney to Celebrate Five Years of Marriage".  That was my title I just now came up with it.  It's not great.  Actually, it's pretty bad.  I have a headache, and you'll have to forgive me.  The good title vibes are not yet flowing through my brain.  But this year marks our fifth wedding anniversary, and we decided that we were going to visit Florida at different times throughout the year, buy annual passes to the parks, and just spend our vacation time down there.  He's pretty excited about it (every time I turn around, he's looking up another dining menu), and I have to admit that I am, too.  I think it will be a great year.

Fourth, this trip falls during an event we have never been to - the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival.  We are garden people.  We have two garden boxes in our backyard which ususally contain tomatoes, green pepper, red peppers, jalapenos, any other kind of cool pepper we like, green beans, green onions, lettuce, herbs, and - on occasion - corn.  (I'm still learning on the corn.  It's been an experiment the last two years, and I've had...yeah, basically no success.  But we got half an ear last year!  So that's...something.)  We also love flowers, though we honestly don't take the time to do them around our own home.  We have a rose bush, a big old rose "tree" in the back yard, and I have some perennial phlox that I planted a while back.  When I do plant annuals, they tend to revisit a year or so later - like the rogue snapdragons that decided to nicely invade the walkway up to our front door.  Never planted them there.  Never even planted them in the ground.  Planted them near there - in a freaking pot.  Weird plants.  Anyway, Flower and Garden Festival - we're excied.

Fifth...well - the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival.  But this time, we're coming for the food, baby!  I saw this article on the Edible Gardens which will feature some of the fruits and veggies being used at the outdoor kitchens around EPCOT.  It made me super excited - like a little kid excited.  I obviously know what some of things look like, but I can honestly say I've never seen how pineapples, coconuts and mangos grow.  I think it will be really cool - food for our bellies and our brains.

Now we just have to wait.  And wait some more.  That's always the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment